If your car has issues of low oil pressure, the oil light turns on your dashboard. This is a serious indicator of a potentially serious problem. Therefore, don’t dare to avoid it unless you want vital parts of your car’s engine get damaged. The bad news is that engines are expensive to be replaced. The good news is that they can be fixed easily.
Oil light: What Is It?
Oil light is an indicator of a drop in oil pressure. If the person who owns the vehicle ignores it, it will lead to self-destruction. It might lead to serious damage in the internal parts of the engine. An only prudent action for this is to flatbed the car and takes it to the nearby mechanic.
Reasons Why Oil Light Is On?
Here are a few major reasons why the oil light of a vehicle is on.
- The most probable reason for this is the low pressure of oil. If there is low oil pressure, no lubrication is possible. This requires instant inspection.
- Further, another cause is a blockage of failure in the oil pump when a foreign substance or particle may block the system, even if the oil levels are fine. At times, there is clogging in the pickup screen. In such a case, the replacement of the part is the solution.
- Also, wear and tear could be another reason. An old circuit can cause low pressure. The oil light on indicates servicing in that scenario.
- You need to change the oil of the vehicle needs at regular intervals. This light gets on if the oil has not been replaced for a long time. You can refer to your vehicle’s manual to know the suggested time intervals for oil replenishment.
- Fourthly, ECU could be faulty. After that, the Oil light might remain illuminated even if your mechanic skips resetting ECU after an oil change. Therefore, newer models of cars are smart enough to notice that there is a need to replace the oil and they indicate when there is new oil put into the car.
- At last, the oil light could be switched on when the service of your car is long due too.
What To Do When The Oil Light Is On?
If the oil pressure is low, some damage would have occurred. Do note that, if you don’t pull off immediately, there is potential for more damage. The more the damage, the bigger the bill.
To solve it, follow the simple steps enlisted below
- Stop the car: Pull the car off the road quickly. Turn off the engine immediately to avoid serious damage to the engine.
- Check the oil levels: The oil levels could be checked using a dipstick which is present in the oil well under the hood of the car. After taking it out, clean it and put it back. Then remove it again and observe if it’s dry or has little oil on it. In such a situation, don’t take the car any further and do request to get your car moved. You can get results verified from the repair shop later.
- Inspection: Call a mechanic and get your vehicle inspected for different issues. After the investigation, get the problems fixed thoroughly.
Is It Safe To Drive When The Oil Change Light Is On?
Obviously not, it is completely unsafe to drive when the oil change light is on. The moment you notice oil lights on, you should immediately stop the car and address the issue. It is always advisable to stop driving immediately. Paying no heed can destruct the engine fully which might, in turn, lead to the breakage of the motor.
How To Reset The Oil Change Light With An OBD Scanner?
The Oil light might be switched on after the replacement of the sensor and oil pump. You can use an OBD Scanner to shut it off.
- Under the steering wheel, there is a diagnostic connector. Most of the vehicles produced after 1996 have one built into them. The OBD scanner is attached to the connector. It would show various error codes as per the diagnostic of the car.
- Note down all the codes in the order. These codes could be necessary for the repair of some or the other part in the future course of time.
- In conclusion, once you have written the codes, tap on “clear” button. In case your car doesn’t have a scanner, you can get it fixed by a local mechanic.
- How many miles can you do when your oil light comes on?
It is unsafe to drive your car if your oil light is on. Make sure to change the oil of the car at least every 3000 miles. But, some latest models can last up to 10,000 miles.
- Why does my oil light come on after an oil change?
If there is an oil change after a transient problem in the pump, the light might show switched on. It might be possible that the repair facility forgot to reset ECU after the oil change.
- Why does the light turn on during turns?
If there is no proper lubrication on the surfaces having friction and other interior parts, the oil light might glow. This is a cause of concern as it indicates there is not enough oil for circulation to critical bearings.
- Why does my oil light flicker on and off?
If oil light flickers on and off even after replenishment of oil, the engine bearings might have become obsolete.
- What to do when oil light switches on while braking?
If there is an illumination of light while braking, it could be an oil pressure problem. The immediate required is to check the oil levels.
How about Battery Light? You can check out here